Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy RP with Dragons

3 posters

Go down

Fantasy RP with Dragons Empty Fantasy RP with Dragons

Post  LordTomyh Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Would anyone be interested in a Roleplay set similar to How to Train Your Dragon or Eragorn where we are partnered with a dragon? I tried this a while back but it failed as it was too ambitious and I didn't build it up enough, but would anyone like to give it a crack?

First of all, would anyone like to help build the world?
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

http://dragonhuntertomyh.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Fantasy RP with Dragons Empty Re: Fantasy RP with Dragons

Post  Conor Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:18 am

Just noticed all your developement threads! f***

I'd really like a fantasy RP actually, and would happily help if you give us a message on here or FB

EDIT: a good first start might be to create a list of dragon breeds, not to stop any OP creations (dragons are pretty OP anyway) but to just make it easier. Obviously they can have individual behaviours, markings and whatnot so your dragon is unique, but having stuff like Ice dragons, Mountain dragons, forest dragons, etc, all with their individual advantages and weaknesses could help ground them in the RP world, ya dig?
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes, I understand what you mean. I think in total they'll be seven dragon species (as the plan is players bond with one and I doubt I'd get seven people to play). I'm sorta using a DnD monster manual to help me make the dragons plus going off stuff like Deltora Quest for the gem / metal scales and WoW for some of the breath weapons.

I'm thinking:

Earth (black or onyx scales) - Magma or Lava Breath. - I'm thinking the largest, the slowest but the strongest of the dragons that live underground in caves and tunnels it carves. Has excellent night vision, but above ground their vision is very poor, and they have a hearing system similar to hippo's where they can feel vibrations in their jaws which are passed onto the ears and translated into sound. Earth Dragons prefer their own company and will either go the Personality path of East or West depending on how they feel about whoever is in front of them.

Mountain or volcano (red or ruby scales) - Fire Breath - The second largest of the dragons who live in caves in mountains and hills, preferably volcanic ones, and like to collect riches and shinies. Though not inherently evil they are more aggressive towards humans, some eve attacking for fun or out of spite. But often they are the Smaug's of the dragon world, not always, but most of the time.

Plains (copper or metallic scales) - Storm Breath - One of the large species of dragons living in grassland and savannah's living in packs or around four to six similar to lions, and live in small hills or in caves. Plains dragons are also more akin to oriental dragons in their personality in being kind and helpful to humans, offering wisdom and advice rather than hostilities.

Water (blue or sapphire scales) - Steam Breath - More serpentine, maybe a medium size, like oriental dragons or sea serpents, but still have wings for flight. I'm thinking their behaviour can be similar to sharks but they use their steam breath's to stun or kill prey, and they nest on land on beach caves and sea cliffs. Water dragons, like Plains dragons, are more likely to help humans

Ice (white or diamond scales) - Ice Breath - One of the smaller species of dragons with the thickest scales and a layer of blubber underneath. They hunt and live individually and are fiercely territorial, attacking anything that comes into their lands. Like the red dragons they are more hostile to humans and would rather attack them than help or advise them.

Desert (amber of topaz scales) - Sand Breath - One of the smaller species of dragons, and another ambush predator they bury themselves into sand dunes and use their sense of touch to sense vibrations of approaching creatures. They have large internal water tanks that can store enough water for several months, as well as large fat reserves for food. Personality wise they're similar to the forest dragons.

Forest (green or emerald scales) - Acid Breath - Maybe smallest of the dragons due to its home but the quickest, but also perfect ambush predators. Have the ability to change the hue of their scales to blend in with foliage and leaf litter, rendering themselves camouflaged. Maybe could also have venom and have snake-like characteristics. Forest dragons are shy around humans and will either hide or stalk them out of curiosity, but won't attack or help unless the dragon wishes to.
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:00 am

Sounds good! I like all those dragon types.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am

I would join, but only if we get to make up creatures and sh*t while we go.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Well of course. I, like 90% of the time, aim for input and creative contribution from everyone. That goes for everything, not just creatures.
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:20 am

But what kind of universe, in terms of historical setting? Traditional fantasy like swords and bows or something a bit more?
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Sorry for double post, but just to add to my previous one;

i'd like to play a range-based character with a bow, which sounds simple, but what could be interesting is adding mechanical, almost steampunk elements to the world. The only reason i say this is i'd really like my character to have a bow and different arrows for different things, which are controlled by energy. If you look at the latest legend of Zelda game coming out, the bow link uses seems to be quite machine-like, with cogs and whatnot, and something that 'activates' the special fire and ice arrows.
The only question is the power source. What is the thing that powers the machines? This could have something to do with the dragons, like blood or souls, which have the power to give life to machinery (not literally, of course, just make them work). You could then implement this into the game to have stuff like primitive guns and vehicles, as well as make some places in the world quite industrial - huge cities amidst small villages.
If dragons were technically a power source, this could also result in a scarcity of dragons, which is why they're so rare. Like whales, they're found and killed for their resources, and the characters in the RP are special as they are the only ones that have managed to find dragons again and use them like in the old days.

So yeah, steampunk fantasy.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Sorry for the delay. For some reason this thread never shows up in the View posts since last visit.

And i'm giddy like a little kid in a candy store now. Steampunk Fantasy. Steampunk! I love the idea Magic meets 19th century industrial might. Eragorn and DnD meets Dead Capital and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I love the idea, lets go with that. So next question is to the world. And i love the idea for the scarcity of the dragons and using them as fuel.

So for the world how bout we have one mainland where most of the action takes place and several islands of vary size around it. If its steampunk then 19th century industry and pollution rules so natural races like faeries, elves and such would be rare, possible even extinct. Dwarves would be thriving however because of industry and such.

For the plot of the RP I'm thinking something similar to Eragorn: evil tyrant rules the land being a general prick, dragons are almost extinct and we find the last ones and try to overthrow the tyrant. Or something along those lines, I dunno. Maybe the tyrant is allied with demons who want to destroy the world, or even simpler we try to slow down the march or progress and try preserver the natural world and the fairy kingdoms for the safety and balance of the world.

I dunno. If you guys have any plot idea's please throw them out there, I'm open to anything and want to have a more original story than simply following Eragorn.

Another question is magic. Should we include it? If we do what are it's rules? I don't want magic to be dues ex machina or the fix all problems solution and I'm sure no one else does? An idea we could use or work on I'm borrowing from Eragorn, again, is that magic is tied to your energy. So when you use a spell it tires you out, simple enough. However if you use too much energy, it'll kill you, so no waving your hands and nukeing a city.

How does that sound?

LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:06 am

So a lot of stuff to do with the land layout is irrelevant in my experience in RPGs. Usually a map is fine, ideally littered with NAMED locations - that way, we can reference these areas and people know where we are in the story world. That'll be SUPER important here, because we'll be flying a lot to each location.

In terms of the state of society, you need to think about the races and what their roles are in the world. The world's industrialised, so humans and (as you mentioned) dwarves would be thriving. But then there's races like elves and fairies who, while might not be necessarily EXTINCT, could have gone into hiding in the forests or something. Then there's races like Orcs, who could be segregated from the big cities and forced to live in their own slum camps and settlements. Basically, orc racism.

And I wouldn't mind having magic, ideally like how you mentioned it, but i can take it or leave it. But it is fantasy, and there are dwarves and elves and sh*t, so magic should probably be a thing.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am

First attempt at Map:

Ok, that was a good first attempt. I don't like the map so I'm making a new one. Bear with me.
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Nice! Might wanna change the lake make though. Lake Hylia is the name of the lake in Zelda.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Ok, Second Attempt. Again sorry that tyhe numbers are hard to see.

Terrains (Blue):
Human Cities (Purple):
Dwarf Cities (Yellow):
Orc Cities (Red):
Elf Cities (Green):
The Free Cities (Pink):
Other (White):

So I'm picturing this island to be around the same size as Ireland (which still makes that volcano really big). Now, even having said that, I have no idea how long it would take to travel this land on foot, so using Google Maps and some maths on the lengths of Ireland and Britain (not taking into consideration islands, just the mainlands) I was surprised to find that it takes roughly 111 hours / 4.6 days to walk Ireland and 265 hours / 11 days to walk Britain. I knew they were small, but I wasn't expecting that you could walk them under a week / two weeks.

Anyway, so let's say it takes roughly six days to travel from Fort Cross (the most southern city) to Northwatch Hold (the most northern on the mainland), just to give a rough sense of scale and blah blah blah.

Now, I'm still working on the list here and names, but feel free to add and even change some of my names and descriptions. Again I'd like and even encourage ideas and contributions so the world is everyone.

And about Lake Hylia, I know. I just like the name Hylia.
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Just post the sign up thread do iiiiiiit
Conor
Conor
Infected