Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules]

5 posters

:: Dump :: Archived Posts

Go down

RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules] Empty RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules]

Post  Damxge Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 am

Basic RPG Rules
1. No bunnying ( Taking control of other peoples characters without reason)
2. Nothing overly sexual
3. No killing another persons character without their permission
4. No godmodding (Being really cheap when fights occur. Example: He dodged all of the 20 knives that were thrown and then made a portal in front of his enemy that sent him to nothingness)
5. Before you make your own RPG you must have at least 10 posts
6. Don't go out of topic in any RPG
7. You must use quotations when some one is speaking (What you should do: "Oh No!" Bob screamed. What you shouldnt do: Oh No! Bob screamed.)
8. No smileys in RPGs. Use descriptive adjectives to convey emotion.
9. Please do not over use bolds,italics,underlines and strikes

A Few Words you Should Know
-Action: Is when you post for you character, progressing the story.
-RP: Is a role play game.
-Bunnying: Is taking control of another person's character in an unfair or overly controlling way.
-Godmodding: Is being generally unfair when tough situations arise in an RPG.
-Basic Descriptive Adjectives: Make sure you know what a word means before you post it.

Author's Notice
One big thing about RPGs before I get going. You do not have one set character for all RPGs! If you want them to act alike or have the same look or personality, then that's fine, but you can create a completely new character for every RPG you join in on!

So before you go off posting like a possessed maniac, there are a few things you need to know about role play. First, you should go read this. Next, you might have a few questions on where to sign up and whatnot. Well, you can go to the Interest Check Forum and sign up for an RPG. There, you will follow whatever sign up form the author has posted must be used.

For example:
Code:
Name:
Build:
Backstory:
(NOTE: If it says sign up closed, you cannot sign up for that RPG.)
Then the admin has to confirm you are allowed to join.

Now, you can go to wherever the RPG is taking place. Make sure that you read the first page. And if there are under four pages of posts already made, read them as well. If there are more than four pages, just read the last four to get a grip on the storyline and where everyone is.

Once you're in, I suggest putting the name of your character as the description of each post. Don't know how? I'll show you.
Hit the Reply button and you'll see at the top of the reply page the Post Title text bar:
Enter your character's name into this each time you post a new part in an RPG to keep it straight on who you are.

Now to Post in the RPG. Here's how it should go.

Code:
So say I will post as my character and start the story and then the next person will post as their character and progress the story forward. Get it?
Here is an example using Guy1 and Guy2.

Guy1 post:

After Ken was kicked out of the bar he climbed up onto the roofs and to see if he could find any criminals. He saw a glowing item ahead of him. He aproached the item to see what it was. He grasped it and read " The man who owns this scroll will be hunted till he gets it to the sacred temple in Oaxaca, Mexico. When he who brings it there first will be granted one wish. This is what Ken was waiting for! He would bring the scroll to the temple and wish back his parents!

Guy2 post:

Carl opened his eyes as he burst his head up from his pillow. " That dream..." he whispered to himself. Carl had been having this dream every night for a long time about a glowing scroll he has to bring to a temple in Oaxaca and would get his wish, complete power over everything. "It must be today." he said as he put on his blood red cloak. As he opened the door he noticed a man with long blonde hair holding a glowing scroll. " This is it! The day has finnaly come! " He said to himself as he jumped up to the roof. " I beileve that is mine. He said to the man with the two revolvers. " We can do this the easy way or the hard way..."

Guy1 post:
"Who is this guy?" he thought as he pulled his revolvers out of his pocket. " Get away from me," Ken screamed at the evil looking man " this is mine!" Ken jumped on to the next roof as he shot 3 bullets at the man and kept jumping from roof to roof so he could get away from that crazy man.

Guy2 post:
The bullets came at him fast one of them peireced his leg as the others went over his shoulders. Carl screamed the loudest he has ever screamed. " I WILL GET YOU!!! " He yelled at the man as he used his cure spell on his wound.

This is a simple progression, normally several people will be posting for their characters. This may push your character further along than where you were when you posted. So make sure to read all of the posts after your last action.

NOTE: You must have 100 rpg token before you can start your own RPG. This rule is void for now, until more people start joining.

Now that you're playing, you might have a great idea for your own RPG. . .well how do you start one?
Easy, all you have to do is go to the Interest Check Forum and post a thread with the beginning of the story of your RPG, as well as a number of people allowed to join and any specific rules to the game.
Following a form as such will help you in the beginning:
Code:

Story:
Number of people allowed to play:
Places left:
Participants:
Whether or not the RPG is already in session:
Difficulty:
The form for people to sign up with: (See earlier text for basic form)
Now, you will need a proper title, so name it appropriately for the RPG you plan on hosting. Also include in the title whether or not you're still accepting applicants, that way people won't try to join an already full RPG.You'll also need to post what difficult you plan on playing at (Beginner,Intermediate, or Expert. See HERE for explanation of difficulties)
Example 1: The Time Machine [Apply Now!][Beginner]
Example 2: Dinosaur World [Closed][Intermediate]
Example 3: Zombieland [Open][Expert]

So now you've got your thread posted. You should probably have at least two people (besides yourself) who have signed up before you post a thread in an RPG area. Once you've got them, post in the RPG Area you are cleared for with the same title as that of your sign up and the first part of the story (the same as is in the sign up thread) Then the people who signed up can start playing!
Note, as admin of an RPG (meaning you started it or have been cleared by the creator) you can narrate the story, so if it's getting a bit slow, or people are just kind of going in a circle, you can nudge them into motion. Try to be creative with how you narrate. As admin, you must also control your character.
Also as admin of an RPG, you're allowed to kick disruptive players. So if someone refuses to follow the story, or violates one of the rules of play, you are allowed to kill their character off. If they become indignant and continue to post in the thread they have been kicked from, you may report them to a mod or admin and they will be...'taken care of'...But do not abuse this power, or you may find yourself with no one willing to play a game with you.

So how do you get business to an RPG you've started?
Well, it's pretty easy, you could put a link in your signature, so that when posting in other RPGs, others might be tempted to join yours. You could also make an advertisement banner for the RPG and have any players put it in their sigs, so that it's a bit more eye catching than plain text.

Want to report an abusive admin?

Well, first you have to make sure the offenses warrant a moderator or admin's time. So what are reportable offenses?
-Controlling others' characters in a disruptive or abusive manner.
-Kicking people for no good reason.
-Trying to kill others' characters.
-Posting illicit narrations (lit-erotica for the most part would be a problem)
-Abusive language (overuse of swear words)
-Breaking forum rules.
If they have done any of these, you may PM a moderator or Admin with proof of their crimes (like a link to the offending posts/thread)

So! How do you post in an RPG?
Well, most RPGs will be written in 1st person (I,we,our) but the admins of some of the more advanced RPGs may have stories in 3rd person (he/she,they,their). So you write in it like it were a journal, recording your movements through the world, using plenty of visual adjectives; all written in past tense (did,had).
You'll get the hang of it if it seems a bit awkward at first.

Is there an end to an RPG?

This depends on the admin of the RPG if they want an endgame or not. They are able to end it at any time they wish.

I'm leaving for a while, but I want my character to keep playing in an RPG
Well, you can always ask someone to play your character for you in a few RPGs until you get back. If you're admin of the RPG, they would be in charge of all of the stuff you'd be (like narration for the most part). They would also play as your character for you, so pick someone wisely.

If you have any more questions, PM an Admin or Mod.

Last edited by Div on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules] Empty Re: RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules]

Post  LordTomyh Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Ok, I'm just asking ... do these riles apply to our artworks and stories we submit here as well ... and the contests?
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

http://dragonhuntertomyh.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules] Empty Re: RPG How its Done Around Here [Rules]

Post  Damxge Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 pm

No, these are just RPG rules.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Cross wrote:2. Nothing overly sexual

Define... "overly sexual"?
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Legotransform Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm

EY!CROSS!GET OVA ERE!
Legotransform
Legotransform
Everlast
Everlast

Back to top Go down

Post  killer8529 Sun May 27, 2012 9:03 pm

overly sexual meaning no description about the sex implied sex is alright but no stuff about the actual sex
killer8529
killer8529
Checkmate
Checkmate

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow... Delayed much?
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Lol, allow me to define.

Sexual Content: Kissing, touching, and the actual act of intercourse. (Fine, nothing kids can't see on tv.)
Overly Sexual Content: In depth details of the encounter. (Not okay, literotica is, unfortunately, not allowed in this board)

Sorry for the delay, I didn't know there was a comment posted here.

Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Question... How can you write "the actual act" without going "in depth"? It's not like a TV Show where you can insert clever camera angles!
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 am

Never figured that out Wink

Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  killer8529 Mon May 28, 2012 1:14 am

I could answer thy but I won't in this case unless you want me to:)Happy face plam WHAT AM I SAYING
killer8529
killer8529
Checkmate
Checkmate

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Mon May 28, 2012 2:00 am

Go ahead, give us an example. Just make sure the grammar is okay XD
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 am

This thread is out of date and will soon be replaced by more comprehensive ones on each subject of Role Playing, from the basic joining, to hosting, to playing in/hosting devRP or PenPal RP.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Dump :: Archived Posts

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum