Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Announcement #3

5 posters

:: Main :: Announcements

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

General Announcement #3 Empty General Announcement #3

Post  Damxge Thu May 12, 2016 4:49 am

Just a post on the minor changes that I've made and the ones I intend on making in the near future.

» First off, I've gone ahead and moved the Competitions category UP, so that it's right below the Role Plays category, in the hopes that it increases member activity there.
» I've rewritten most of the board descriptions (under their names on the home screen). If you see any typos or have a better idea for any of them, just let me know.
» I've started writing out description and guideline threads to help new members become accustomed to the forum faster and learn the style of RP we do. This will probably take a few days to complete. If anyone would like to take it upon themselves to write up some threads they feel are needed, please let me know, you're more than welcome to it.
» The VIP Room is no more, and I plan on reinstating the Staff Zone. I'm not sure why it was removed in the first place. Must have been a brainfart on my part.
» I will also be setting up the NSFW board and the Verified group (Verified 18+). I doubt it will get much use currently, but it will more than likely be a draw in the future. For some reason sex sells.
» In the near future (Probably friday), I'm going to set up an ExRPG Youtube channel. It probably won't get too much use at first, but I hope to develop it into a useful tool to keep forumgoers informed and entertained.
» I'll also be setting up something similar to the otW competitions, like back on Ax. More than likely in an Of the Week board near the top of the forum.
» I'm going to start updating some small image aspects of the forum, to get the theme to flow a bit better, and to replace sub-par imagery. For the most part it probably won't be noticeable.
» I'll also be opening a poll on weather or not the emoticons need to be updated. Go vote on it in the General section later.
» As well as trying to start up the OTWs, I'm going to host our first competition since our second revival.
» I'll also be stating up a fresh Skype group for our members who are active on Skype. While I don't use it as much as I used to, it's still a nice thing to have.

And to end on a question, should we update our forum background? As nice as the tiling green swirls are, it may be in our interest to have a more solid, less distracting background. If so, what style BG should it be replaced with? I'd love to know you guys' opinions.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

General Announcement #3 Empty Re: General Announcement #3

Post  Chavvy Thu May 12, 2016 6:06 am

I noticed some of the small bits had changed, so knew you were up to something. Might as get my two cents in before this thread goes crazy.

- I personally think both the theme and emoticons could do with a fresh lick o paint. Themewise, I think the green should take a backseat, using it more for the detailings, relying on a more white/grey dominant scheme. I agree that the green swirly thing is a bit distracting, and a more back to basics look would suit the rebirth of the site, a fresh start and all that. Emoticon-wise, just a general tidy up, maybe lose the outlines on em, and I'd be happy with them, they function for now though, so theres no rush to do them imo.

If you need any help with anything, dont hesitate to let me know, I don't really have much else better to do atm XD
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Thu May 12, 2016 6:09 am

My thoughts exactly on the theme. I'm going to discuss it further with Casey and Del later if they're around.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 am

Honestly, I've always loved the way this forum looks, it's dark and almost edgy and it's different. Green is iconic for us and I honestly think the only way white would look good is if it was just the writing and such.
I do love the YouTube Chanel though, as well as using it to keep people updated we could use it to post video explanations, rules and such, not a lot of people go through and read a sites rules when they join, and a video introduction might make it easier
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Thu May 12, 2016 7:45 am

I agree with keeping it darker, but I do feel the background and other small details need to be tweaked. I'm just a bit nervous doing it of my own volition for fear of upsetting fellow members. I'll whip up some examples of other backgrounds and throw them around the staff board and see if y'all agree.

I'm glad you're on board with the youtube idea. And EXACTLY! It'd be so much easier to keep people filled in and make sure they know the rules.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSage Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 am

I agree with a new theme. A lot of it just looks outdated.
The background tile, the banner, and so on. Plus, there's so much unused space on the sides.

I don't mind the dark scheme, but I'd be all for a light one. It doesn't matter though, as long as it looks nice.
MrSage
MrSage
Rocketman
Rocketman

http://mr-sage.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 9:57 am

Definitely, I'd be happy to make some videos for it, we all should.

I don't really understand what people are saying about the background. It plain gray?
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 am

Above all, can we please change the font of the main title at the top? Mike, design something good bby

Aside from that cool. I like that you moved comps up
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Thu May 12, 2016 10:45 am

In the works my good man, in the works.

The green electric swirls in the background, Casey?
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Oh you mean the border? I barely even notice that
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 pm

This is what I see

Im guessing you have a smaller screen. Casey?

Also, would it be possible to deactivate the mobile version on this site? Everytime I try to open it on my phone, it crashes :/
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Chavvy wrote:
Also, would it be possible to deactivate the mobile version on this site? Everytime I try to open it on my phone, it crashes :/

No! Please don't. It works fine on my phone and sometimes it's the only way to use the site for me Sad

And wow, Chav. Are you sure you're not zoomed out or something because mine doesn't have nearly as much as that, and no, standard 15 inch screen.
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Thu May 12, 2016 7:12 pm

I have a 22" monitor, I'm actually zoomed in a little at this XD

I mean deactivate that theme, not the whole function. Just so I can get the desktop version on my phone as it doesn't let me access it long enough to change it myself.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 7:15 pm

Oh that Happy
Dude, just change it to classic mode
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 pm

It doesn't let me get that far, thats the problem XD
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Oh... Maybe your phone's just not compatible
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 pm

dunno why though, its pretty new with android four point something on it. Maybe its the adverts, I am getting popups on my pc occasionally despite having blockers. Could be something to do with that, I dont think the mobile theme has any advert spaces.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Dun dun dun! That doesn't sound good
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, the site does the mobile thing by itself. We have no control over it.

Also, Sync, this is my view.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
That's just the usual 1080p res.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Fri May 13, 2016 2:04 pm

On my laptop there's just tree three fingers width on either side
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Fri May 13, 2016 2:28 pm

So it's kind of a nonissue for you. But for others with a lot of monitor space, the green can be a bit distracting and detract from the forum, and to be honest, after staring at it for a while, it gives me a headache. Like I said, I'll whip up some alternatives and post em in staff for you and Dyl to check out Happy
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Fri May 13, 2016 4:16 pm

I managed to sort it I think Mooblips

And yeah, I have to agree with Mike here, that green thing on the sides does give you a headache after a bit, the only way it could be any worse is if it were animated :/
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Like a website from 1999
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 pm

All you need now bow is adverts saying you're the millionth visitor with flashing exclamation marks XD
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Those were the days...
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook